1. What led you to writing resumes? Do you have a background that made you an ideal fit for the industry?
When I left my position at HealthInsurance.com, I started a career website with articles, career discovery tools, and book recommendations. Within a year, I added resume writing services. I have always enjoyed helping people and that is why this career is a good fit.
2. How long have you been in the industry? Would you recommend it to others? Why?
I have been in the industry since 1999. I would only recommend it to those who are very service-oriented, possess strong writing skills, and have a deep understanding of many occupations and industries. Some people feel that writing is the only skill required. A good writer is not always a good service provider and not all writers have the depth of understanding to uncover the information to market a client. However, many good writers can gain the knowledge to be great resume writers.
3. What is the single best tool you recommend for building client relations? Building your business? Improve efficiency?
Take care of your clients and your business will grow. Also, creating partnership with professional associations is a good way to generate a steady flow of leads.
4. If you could share one learning experience/great lesson, what would it be?
You can gain a lot of knowledge by participating in online forums on trade websites and LinkedIn groups. It’s important to know what employers want in a candidate for particular jobs so you can uncover those values in your clients. It’s not all about formatting and catch phrases.
5. Looking back, what would you have done differently? Done the same?
I would have made smarter pricing decisions.
6. What advice would you give someone just entering the resume-writing industry?
Life is short and it’s not all about business. I have learned to carve out a significant amount of time for family and recreation. I no longer leave the dinner table to take a 7pm client call! My time is more valuable than money. You can earn a good income and provide exceptional service while maintaining harmony in your life!
7. How do you see our industry transforming over the next 12 months? 5 years? What do think resume writers need to know in order to survive?
First, we need to stay on top of new methods of social media and electronic communication so we can continuously change how we market our clients. Second, as professionals we need to promote our industry to protect against the wave of non-professionals (sometimes scam artists) who offer the $49 resume and lower the value of our services.